Monday, July 6, 2015

Change!

I have come to RE realize something about me. Change is difficult!!
As humans, I think that we settle in and feel comfortable in our homes, our friends, our jobs, etc. And we hope that everything stays the same because it is comfortable.

Yet, staying the same does not allow for growth. And growth is ESSENTIAL to our lives! So we must embrace the change yes??

I am not the best at this. When change happens, I act like I'm a drowning baby and fling my arms and emotions all over the place trying to find a steady rock to stand on. And truth be told, it's damaged a few relationships because I get a little needy.

HAHA! While I'm writing this I'm thinking of an almost drowning experience that I had this weekend! I went floating down a river with some small rapids. And I hung onto to a friend's tube. At the beginning, I said, I feel like I get sucked under the rapids easier when I'm hanging onto someone else, but let's try it!

Guess what? I got sucked under. Annnnnddddd lost my tube in the MIDDLE of rapids. And all the instruction of 25 years of floating the Rogue River in Oregon came back to me.  Let go, Feet up, forward, and butt up, and float down.  That's what I did. I let go of hanging on for dear life to my friends tube, put my feet up, forward down the river, and butt up so I didn't bang rocks, and floated down.

Sometimes, there isn't a steady rock to stand on in the midst of change, and you have to rely on what is inside you. Faith, confidence, strength.

Change makes me vulnerable and it's frightening. But then I re-meet myself and see who I am inside. And as my dad says, suck in my gut, stick out my chest, and continue forward. It's a scary beautiful thing to be vulnerable and to change.  BUT thunderstorms are my favorite act of nature. Embrace it!


No comments: