Sunday, May 20, 2012

My Favorite Poem

My comments about this are in parenthesis. I was given this poem on my mini-mission when I was 16. It has changed my life ever since.  Nearly every decision that I was afraid of was answered through prayer and this poem.  If I never risked anything, I would never have faith, experience joy, or experience life. I am grateful for the beauty of life that I've been able to see through pain and through joy. It's what keeps me going :)



ONLY A PERSON WHO RISKS IS FREEby Author Unknown
To laugh is to risk appearing the fool.  (This happens every day, lol )
To weep is to risk appearing sentimental.(Unfortunately, this happens a lot too)
To reach for another is to risk involvement.
To expose your ideas, your dreams,
before a crowd is to risk their loss.
To love is to risk not being loved in return.
To live is to risk dying.
To believe is to risk despair.
To try is to risk failure.
But risks must be taken, because the
greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

The people who risk nothing, do nothing,
have nothing, are nothing.
They may avoid suffering and sorrow,
but they cannot learn, feel, change,
grow, love, live.
Chained by their attitudes they are slaves;
they have forfeited their freedom.
Only a person who risks is free.

Well I can't comment after every line and not take away from the effectiveness of this poem.  I think that this poem is trying to say something that the Savior once said, "Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."  Matthew 5:14-16.

Our laughter, our weeping, our dreams, our love, our beliefs, our lives are all part of our light.  If we hide them, we hide our light, we aren't free.

My life has had a lot of risk and will continue to do so as this year progresses.....ironically, I'm usually terrified of change, but this year I feel more faith in the Lord and more calmness than I ever had. I'm ready to learn, FEEL, CHANGE, GROW LOVE, and LIVE. In fact it brings me peace :) 

No comments: