So, as usual, I evaluate and think on my life a LOT!!! what else do you do when you're lonely? So...a couple of times this has come up in my life, through school, or through experiences....and I've decided to do something about it.
I'm going on a limited digital fast!
What's this you say? well Think on it. how much do you rely on the internet, or your phone, or your facebook, or (duh) your blog? how much TV do you watch, or movies?
Now....how often do you go and visit your friends? have a meaningful conversation with someone, voice to voice? sit down and spend time with the family that is not in front of the T.V.?
Well, this is my life....I text, I facebook, I blog, I chat, i watch T.V. shows or movies constantly...etc. etc. I'm not saying that this is bad in any way, in fact sometimes it's the only way to keep in touch with some people, or the only way I can relax or be entertained while exercising...but I do sometimes tend to overdo it. For example, for a few months there, I had texted 500+ messages everyday. That's a lot!!! With one of my friends, we were more comfortable texting each other in the same room, then actually talking to each other...that's sad. :( We find ways to not express our emotions, or who we are accurately.
What brought this on? A couple of things actually...
1. I realized with some friends that it's easier to text then actually talk. Whoa!!!
2. I don't spend time with me in my mind.
3. A speech I heard about texting discussed how we are losing our abilities to communicate with each other because we do it all digitally, and I saw a lot of example of it in my life.
as for the T.V.
4. Another speech was given about the importance of reading, and I love to read! I realized that I watch more T.V. than I read. And I need to cut back on that T.V. and movie watching, because I watch about 28 hours a week of something....eek....that's four hours a day. actually sometimes it's 6-8 hours! wow! imagine what i could do with that time! (although it's background noise to my studying)
So, I'm not trying to be self righteous or judge anyone, but i'm trying to find some balance in my life and improve the meaning in my life. SO I''m going to watch all my shows tonight and start tomorrow to prove to myself that I don't need the T.V. and the movies, and my phone, or my computer. And this will be limited...meaning, I'm going watch some, and text some, and message some, and email some, and blog some, but just with moderation.
3 comments:
DANG. Okay... I'll agree to this as long as you come over IN PERSON and order my Apple stuff. That way- YES you're on the computer BUT you're also visiting someone, in person. Or will you even know that I posted this since you're cutting yourself off?
Are you going to make it???
You have to TALK to people?
... all of this is making ME nervous & I'm not even the one doing it...
Amy : )
lol. amy you're funny....it's "limited" not completely cut off.:)
Kelda--that is a huge undertaking my friend. I take my hat off to you though this kinda-makes things tough in our case. ARe you even going to see this? I guess this means if I want to stay in touch with you i'm going to have to write with a pen!!? :P
Post a Comment