Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The amazing Truth.

It started with Institute....



Every now and then, when our institute teacher Sister Stewart (Pstew and Z) leaves town, I substitute teach institute for her. I love it because it helps me to keep up on my scripture study, and I learn so much from the class and the lessons that we cover (although it is sometimes awkward teaching my peers). *I sidetrack*
Well, last Tuesday, I had to teach about the crucifixion and a bit about the resurrection. I tell you what...this is a hard topic to cover. There is are so many cultural bits that surround this event that if you skip them it diminishes the significance of the Savior and what He went through, yet if you discuss each one, it could take ages! So I summarized a lot of it, and went with whatever happened. This became one of those lessons where I think that I learned more than everyone else did. We each wrote a letter to the Saviour expressing to Him our feelings, and it was powerful to describe to Christ the love and the gratitude that I have for Him. And I realized that I have opportunities to do this each day in my prayers. I also read a poem that a friend of mine wrote which is incredibly amazing, and the whole experience to me deepened my testimony of the Saviour and His love, mercy, compassion, and joy that He has given to us.




The Baptism of Claud Olson
Over the summer, I met a new friend named Neal. He came from California to work at Jeld Wen as an intern, and he stayed with his grandpa Claud. Neal, my friend Keith, Claud, and I all went to Claud's lake house to ready it for the summer, and to have a great time, and Claud was a sweet, kind man. This is my claim to Claud. Claud's entire descendants are all member's of the church but he isn't. I don't know exactly why he never joined the church, maybe it was because he smoked. Who knows? Well, over the course of 3 weeks, amazing events happened to change this sweet man's life. In short, this 96....yes, I said 96!!....year old man decided to give up smoking, be baptised, and join his family in the gospel so that he could be with them forever. Like he said at his baptism "This is the best family reunion ever!" His baptism was a miracle, and the Spirit that was present was incredibly amazing! Words cannot describe the joy that was felt by the family, the faith that went into thousands upon thousands of prayers, the knowledge that we can hope, and of course the sweet amazing truth that the Saviour does have a plan for our happiness, and for our journey. Even if we don't realize it til we are 96. It was the greatest blessing and faith building experience to have been at Claud's baptism. Thank you Neal for inviting me!

No comments: