Friday, March 26, 2010

cognitive distortions....boy howdy....welcome to the life of kelda :0

1. All-or-nothing thinking: you look at things in absolute, black-and-white categories.
2. Over generalization: you view a negative event as a never-ending pattern of defeat.
3. Mental filter: you dwell on the negatives
4. Discounting the positives: you insist that your accomplishments of positive qualities don’t count.
5. Jumping to conclusions:
a. Mind-reading: you assume that people are reacting negatively to you when there’s no definite evidence
b. Fortune-telling: you arbitrarily predict that things will turn out badly
6. Magnification or minimization: you blow things way out of proportion or you shrink their importance
7. Emotional reasoning: you reason from how you feel: “I feel like an idiot, so I really must be one.”
8. “Should statements”: you criticize yourself (or other people) with “shoulds” “oughts” “musts” “have to’s”.
9. Labeling: Instead of saying “I made a mistake”, you tell yourself, “I’m a jerk, or a fool, or a loser”
10. Personalization and blame: You blame yourself for something you weren’t entirely responsible for, or you blame other people and deny your role in the problem.

all on my own, i do at least two of these all the time, get me in a stressful situation.......well you've got all TEN!! hang on to your pants when you got that.... :) i think i need a yoga master. :)

2 comments:

J. Guest said...

Confucius say, "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them."

nison (nic + allison) said...

I do them too if that makes you feel any better - I'm thinking we all do. I took a Cognitive Restructuring class at OIT and it was so interesting - talked about all of those points.